BCS Master of Arts Student Admission Exercise 2017 (English and Chinese Course)
The Buddhist College of Singapore (BCS) is a tertiary education institute initiated and actively pursued by Venerable Kwang Sheng, the current abbot of Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery. BCS has a strong faculty comprising lecturers with professional qualifications. With aims of grooming highly educated talents in Dharma propagation and academic research, the college offers Master of Arts programmes in Chinese and English to the Sangha.
To broaden the students’ horizon of Buddhist Studies by introducing the different kinds of methodology used in the discipline, deepening understanding in various areas of interest, developing the ability to think, analyse and express ideas clearly, and imparting the skills needed for thesis research and writing, thereby preparing students better for the role of promoting Buddhism.
Course Structure and Intake:
- Each MA programme (English/Chinese) is a full time 2-year course. Upon earning the required credits and passing their dissertation, students will be awarded a Master of Arts’ degree by the Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, Thailand.
- Each programme (English/Chinese) accepts 5 applicants.
Benefits ~ All meals, accommodation and daily necessities will be provided by the college. Students will also receive a monthly allowance during their period of study at BCS. Basic medical expenses will be covered, subject to the college regulations.
Post-Graduation Outlook ~ Students shall return to their monasteries upon graduation. However, graduates who are interested to engage in further academic research may apply for assistance for further studies overseas.
– Bhikkhu aged 40 and below of any nationality who has interest in conducting academic research in Buddhism. Devout; ordained for at least 5 years.
– Possesses at least a BA degree with a GPA of at least 2.50 from a recognized university or equivalent qualifications, including external degrees.
– Applicants for the English MA programme are required to submit their English TOEFL (minimum internet-based test score of 80) or IELTS (minimum overall band score of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5) results. Results are valid for 2 years from the test date.
– All applicants except those from China, applying for the Chinese MA programme are required to submit their Chinese Proficiency Test (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi | 汉语水平考试) results (minimum score of 9). Exceptions may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
– Healthy, no visible or hidden disabilities (E.g. sleepwalking, epilepsy), and/or infectious diseases.
– Single; no criminal record.
– The closing date for all applications is 30 April 2017.
– Interested parties may download the application form from http://www.bcs.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Application-Form.pdf. Application forms should be completed accordingly and legibly. Please provide a valid contact number and/or email address.
Please submit the completed application form together with the following materials to BCS Registrar’s Office.
a. Two referral letters – one from the applicant’s Master, another from the applicant’s teacher.
b. Photocopy of the latest academic transcript and certificate.
c. Photocopy of Personal Identification card and passport.
d. Three passport-sized, matte-finished photographs (35×45mm) of the applicant’s front profile. Applicants should be dressed in monk’s robes with no headdress, on white background.
e. Medical check-up form (inclusive of blood test, liver test, chest X-ray) from a Government-registered medical institution.
– Applicants will be selected based on the results of the entrance examination and an interview.
– Scope of Examination: Interviews and examinations for both courses will be conducted at the same time. Both English and Chinese course applicants will be assessed on their comprehension and writing skills based on a given academic Buddhist article. Chinese course applicants will sit for an additional Pre-Intermediate English Language examination. The interview will focus on the applicant’s thinking ability and intelligence.
– The college will apply for student visas and permits on behalf of all selected applicants.
– Selection results will be announced via telephone, email and the college website.
– According to the policy stipulated by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA), all foreign students are required to pay a security deposit. The student shall bear half of the amount, while the remainder will be subsidized by the college. Please visit http://www.bcs.edu.sg/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/security_deposit.docx for details on the deposit amount.
– Successful applicants are required to report to the college by 28 August 2017
– Course commencement: 4 September 2017
For more information, please visit the “Student Recruitment” section at the college website or contact us in writing / via telephone.
Address: Buddhist College of Singapore, Registrar’s Office | 88 Bright Hill Road Singapore 574117
Tel: 0065-6715 6900 (Please contact us between Mondays and Fridays 9am – 4pm, Singapore time)
Fax No: 0065-6456 0180
*Remark: – BCS shall provide one-way air tickets only for freshmen and graduates.