In order to develop talented successors within the Buddhist nun’s order for the endeavour of continuing the Buddha’s mission of promulgating the Noble Way for the benefit of all beings, the Buddhist College of Singapore (BCS) is offering a Basic Monastic Training Course for female laity at Poh Ern Shih Temple located at 9 Chwee Chian Road.
Course Applicants and Objectives
– The “Basic Monastic Training Course” is a foundation course specifically catered to lay females seeking ordination as a Buddhist nun or those who have been ordained for less than a year.
– To inculcate Right Faith, Right View and Right Action. In addition, students will learn the moral characteristics and the fundamental precepts of a monastic in order to fulfill the basic requirements of becoming a Buddhist nun.
Course Structure and Contents
– 2 years full-time stay-in campus studies, fully sponsored by BCS, using Mandarin as the medium of instruction.
– Contents: “Instructions on How to Arouse the Aspiration of Enlightenment”, “Basic Disciplinary Rules (siksa, srameneri)”, “Guidelines and Instructions for Monastics”,” Buddhist Practices; Daily Chanting of Chinese Buddhism”, “Hands-on Religious Practices” etc. English Language will be offered as an elective course (for foreign students).
Course Completion Prospects During the 2-year course or upon 2 years’ of completion, the college will recommend students to local nunneries for ordination. Students may also personally approach any nunnery for ordination.
- Closing date: 31 July 2016 (Singapore)
- Closing date: 31 May 2016 (China)
– Interested parties may write in to request for the application form or download it here from our website. Application forms should be completed accordingly and legibly. Please provide a valid contact number and/or email address.
– Please also include a written self-introduction in your application form.
– Referral letter from temple.
– Please submit the completed application form together with the following materials to BCS Registrar’s Office. – Applicants will be interviewed; selected applicants will go through a medical check-up.
– For more detailed information, please contact us in writing or via telephone.
Address：Buddhist College of Singapore (Nuns’ Campus) c/o Poh Ern Shih 9 Chwee Chian Road. Singapore 117488 Telephone：+65 6471 4307 Please contact us Mondays to Fridays 9am – 4pm. Email： email@example.com
– Females aged between 18 – 40 years old.
– Layperson or Singaporean/Malaysian nuns ordained for less than a year.
– Minimum ‘O’-level qualification, able to communicate in Mandarin.
– Healthy, no visible or hidden disabilities (E.g. sleepwalking, epilepsy) and/or infectious diseases.
– Single, no matrimonial ties and no criminal record.